Friday 15 April 2016

Deftones - Gore

Never been much of a fan of Deftones to be honest, they produce drowny music that just clash in every area for my ears. I don't mind the old school song - Back To School, purely for the nostalgia. Nostalgia aside, the song itself is fucking shit. These guys from America none the less are a big hit with teenagers, in my view they are a stepping stone to better things in the musical library. Well, I hope so.

Skip track one (Prayers/Triangles), its terrible, the vocals are exactly what you are hoping Chino Moreno would avoid doing. To me, his vocals are imitations of brain dead people in mental asylums moaning. I can hear the growth in less angry music here, and more powerful full sounds. Harmonising backing vocals. Acid Hologram is the second song, the intro is something i like, high end sounding chords, over and over drowning. In fairness to Chino his voice compliments this song. Discovered a reverb, delay pedal or plug in for vocals. A little over done as we get deeper into this track. I can't put my finger on this sort of stuff. Is it meant to have no structure? Are we meant to be thrown off? The verses themselves are good. As it gets back into the second verse you start to get back into it, but once again it goes off on one. Fuck it, this track is shit too. Doomed User is a song that starts with a DJ sample, 14 year olds are going to love this aren't they? Hip as fuck. We get some doomy stoner metal sounds and suddenly full classic metal riffs come in, and the singing is literally all over the place. Chino fucked up. 

I feel this album is really rushed, a few riffs were made here and there. A lick from years ago that wasn't used have been fitted into irrelevant songs. Forget the actual sound though, what throws me off is the vocals. Too filtered with effects and backing vocals that do not compliment each other. I don't know if Im missing the bigger picture? The lyrical content is ridiculous, I love a riddle but this makes no sense. Let's listen to the song Gore... 

We have a less is more intro, something a bit different to the previous listening. And just as some nice full power chords come in, big drums too. Screaming, Chino lay off this shit. The whole album flow with the same production value's which is good but boring, this vocal channel is used the whole way through. 

Let's cut this short because I do not rate this album in the slightest, I feel bummed out for Deftones fans for this pile of disappointment. Terrible album, but if you are a kid who lives with a religious family. You only have access to cassettes of hymns and country songs about God and values, and you feel the need to rebel and paint a massive 'A' anarchy logo on your back. Grab this, you'll enjoy it. You will probably walk through town with your hood up playing this loud out from your phone. Fucking goth. 

Listen HERE... I wouldn't bother though, it's nothing original.

No comments:

Post a Comment